Get Involved
Project Open Thesauri
Where en_GB/PTG is used
Tips for getting the most out of: LibreOffice (Writer)   Thunderbird
About Marco  Contact Oath CV In English  CV Em Português Masters Dissertation Em Português PhD Thesis (Main) Em Português PhD Thesis (Data Analysis) Em Português

V3.0 build 115 — 16.Jun.2017 (beta)
© 2013–2018 Marco A.G.Pinto and Community Contributors.
Freely distributable/modifiable under the Apache License 2.0.
The logo was designed by Pedro Marques.
Most of the software icons are from OpenOffice.
en_GB Dictionary:
I am improving the British speller for Mozilla and AOO/LO.

 — Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey) (2.56)
 — AOO (OpenOffice) (2.54) / LO (LibreOffice) (2.56)

 — English Dictionaries Project


 — WORDLIST (172 524 words — 3 034 new)

Version: 2.561.Jan.2018


Select a PTG topic:

  About  Why PureBasic  Update (Recent Changes)  Known issues in Linux  Downloads  Screenshots

PTG — About:
An open-source tool coded in PureBasic for editing the Dictionary/Thesaurus/Hyphenation/Autocorrect files of OpenOffice/LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey, provided they are in UTF-8 format.

This program was originally developed to easily edit the synonyms of OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

I had this idea after asking to the persons in charge of the pt_PT project, from Minho University in Portugal, what I should do to suggest synonyms since only suggested words for the Portuguese speller were added.

I was told that they didn't know how to add synonyms since the guy in charge of that project left it long-ago (2006).

Later, I wanted to make it compatible with Firefox and Thunderbird, after it became possible to edit dictionaries. I hoped that in the future someone would use it in Thunderbird and fix the en_GB speller which was full of typos and missing words. Since no one volunteered, I took this task myself.

This is where my idea came from: develop something easy to use since I tried some official tools for the tasks and I didn't understand anything on them, not even how to use them.

My tool is so intuitive that even a child can use it.

25.Aug.2013 I released a "forked" en_GB speller V2.00. The speller has been made available to OpenOffice/LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey. So far, I have added 36 120 words (as of V2.56).

Back to top

PTG — Why PureBasic:
I use PureBasic for all my projects because
"I like it simple and powerful".

This language is very easy to use and powerful, it produces compact and very fast executables, and has multiplatform support.

It is
"Basic" only in the name and in the syntax.

I reached the conclusion that this is what I have been after all over these years.

You can know more about PureBasic here:

Back to top

PTG — Update (Recent Changes):
V3.0 beta is very stable and a lot better than V2.3.

"AFF Aid" codes, in the first line of the codes, use the standard:

On build 110-115:
 — Apache License link should now work in Linux;
 — Added
"Not coded yet!" to tabs not coded yet;
 — It is now possible to extract a thesaurus in book format (can be later converted to PDF);
 — Added Exclusive Delete to autocorrect;
 — Fix: another prefix bug with twofold;
 — HTML Help menu item;
 — Support for extracting wordlist compounds for LanguageTool and check for duplicates makes use of morphological information;
 — Fix: Check for duplicates improved (morphologic data);
 — Now the check for duplicates in dictionary, also shows the lines numbers;
 — New About PureBasic menu icon;
 — Renamed
"Quit" menu item to "Exit";
 — Created a colour constant #GreenDark that is better seen on a grey background;
 — Coded undo/redo;
 — Autocorrect: Allow to try to open a file with a non-valid header.

On build 105-109:
 — Added recursivity to dictionary word decoding (tested with twofold);
 — Support via coloured symbol for NOSUGGEST in words editor;
 — Fix: Changing the GUI resolution in the PREFS would reset the .AFF EditorGadget;
 — Improved: If a code isn't found in the .aff it no longer exits the decoding function.

On build 101–104:
 — GUI improvements and fixes;
 — It is now possible to have custom
"AFF Aid" files with 16x16 PNGs flags;
 — Support for FLAG NUM and LONG (no recursivity yet);
 — Modern menus look for Windows;
 — Pop-up menu now has an extra option
"Clone" (very useful);
 — Major speed gain in the .AFF cache optimising code (gl_ES).

On build 100:
 — Improved the GUI a lot, allowing multiselection of items and choose 1024x600 or 1280x600 window size.

Back to top

PTG — Known issues in Linux:
PTG V3.0 build 104 (PureBasic 5.60) fixed most GTK3 issues but there are still some gadgets with wrong text alignment.

PTG V3.0 build 90
fixed the performance issue. I use dynamic arrays to store the words instead of placing the whole list in ListIconGadgets, and I show the entries 13 (customisable) words at a time. Most operations are ultrafast with the new code.

Back to top

PTG — Downloads:

 — V3.0 build 115 (beta)
MANUAL (semi-finished — 2017-06-06)

  Windows — 7/8/10
    x86 & x64 — Download
Extension used: ZIP
       SHA-512: 7B1936945C152DBBDE9C97C0B7E3E39D2436AB85041B9C450B9BF5104B95CE2A95683E95337CE131DCF8607EAD485D99288B9222E0ED86411130128F58F384E8

           SIG: Download SIG

  Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu — 15/16/17
    x86 & x64 —
Extension used:
       SHA-512: 6F36749505CE1B143068317A99B4CB38199620F0E5BBE2D29A2BDF0592F598827887578B64DCC2EB54DCFFF987507CE615B09021E8BBF01903C5919EF297C30F

           SIG: Download SIG

  Mac OS — X
    x86 & x64 — N/A*

Extension used: DMG
       SHA-512: N/A
           SIG: N/A

* If someone is able to compile my tool for this platform, I will add the files here.

Back to top

PTG — Screenshots (V3.0 build 98):
(click on images to enlarge)

  Windows 10.0.14393   Ubuntu 16.04
Windows Ubuntu

  Kubuntu 16.04

Back to top

Last update: 12.Jan.2018